Oracle Reports: Upside Down Question Marks (Simplified Chinese)

Problem

You make a change to a report which is used in Chinese. (The same will probably apply to any non-UTF8 character set like Japanese)

After you make the change, even if it isn't to the layout, upside-down question marks will be displayed in the output.


Cause: Your report builder installation has been set to you local language.
Probably something like "AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252"
When you opened the report it corrupted the font in the layout (and probably any other hard-coded Chinese) characters.

Solution

Search your registry from the NLS_LANG setting for your reports installation.
Change it from AMERICAN...(or whatever you have) to Chinese. there are a few that I saw, this one worked for me.


You will need to re-open the original report (since you've already corrupted the last one) and redo your change.
Save and upload you RDF.

I wasn't done yet. I couldn't understand why I was still getting upside-down question marks where the Chinese ones should have been.
Then I realised that I was submitting my request using my default (American English) language setting.
Submit the request again using Simplified Chinese (or whatever non-UTF8 supported language you are having a problem with), and it should look better,


Result


Acknowledgement
https://community.oracle.com/thread/2385239?tstart=0

Comments