Justifying this blogs existance?

There isn't a solution to this one, but I just want to point whoever is reading this to the reason why I started this blog.

I post entries to this blog when I've struggled to find a simple answer after trawling through loads of duff advice and dead end forum posts. It might help somebody, or even me at a later date. More often than not, the people manning the forums that I trawl through don't know what they are talking about, and seem to be there only to earn points/gain levels/earn kudos. I've lost count of the times that I've found syntax errors in "solutions", or found posts that have have been left unanswered. On particularly busy forums a post "trends" for a day or less, and then the juggernaut moves on.

Yes there are exceptions...

Take my issue. I ran standard scripts to upgrade to Apex 5.01 and my instance stooped responding. I had an unusual setup and took time to see whether anybody else had had the issue, and with great reluctance posted a question on the apex users forum.

https://community.oracle.com/thread/3786398?sr=inbox

His first priority was that I needed to change my name (what's that got do do with anything).
Then the classic stall while I get you to provide information. (Does my database version really count, have I not posted in the question what version I was upgrading to and how I was doing it).
Finally a suggestion based on a a tenuous link on metalink. Hardly surprising that it didn't work.
Now (after a few days), we're getting closer. Let's focus on the listener...hooray!
Except his advice doesn't make much sense, I need to know the rationale behind his thinking before I figure out how to mess with the listener and bounce my docker.

Why would an upgrade change my listener settings?!

OK, I give up...I'll go with it...can you at least tell me HOW to make the changes that you are suggesting...

Try asking the next day,,,

The crunch..go and ask you DBA....

I've got a docker...I'm running an image that was put together by somebody that DOES know about bouncing databases and configuring listeners...

This level14 forum guy is clearly spending hours of his life on this forum, he is currently second on the league table and is going to do anything he can to answer as many posts as he can to get to the top. I'd swap him for 14 guys that took a bit of time to actually think about what they are writing before "helping out".

End of rant



Comments